Re: Which Tuning Method? System/Resource Tuning?

From: Wisdom <wisdom_crying_out_at_hotREMOVEmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 05:21:36 GMT

Vance,

The biggest bang for the buck on Solaris 8 is using directio with Oracle. If you don't mount your filesystems containing datafile using directio, do it now or you are double buffering all the data and wasting memory and CPU cycles.

Example of /etc/vfstab entry for directio /dev/md/dsk/d120 /dev/md/rdsk/d120 /u08 ufs 2 yes forcedirectio

Also, verify that you have all the SCSI cards in your Sun spread out across all the PCI buses. By default Sun stuffs all the cards on the first PCI bus thus the layout is not optimized from the factory. Look in the E450 manual to see what card slot is on which bus.

Another performance increase can be gained my populating the the SIMM banks in pairs with identical chips so that the memory will interleave. I am not exactly sure how much increase this gives throughput-wise but it should make memory access twice as fast.

And once you do all that, the PIII is still going to blow the doors off the E450 for single threaded type activities like import/exports. I can't believe how fast the commodity PC hardware has become. I built a single processor PIII 850 and it was 300-700% faster than a 4 x 300 Mhz E450 depending on the type operation. Also, this was SCSI vs. IDE too.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that the E450 is about 5 years old and the PIII's and PIV's are only a couple years old. Think 386 vs. pentium if you can remember back that far. The PC technology has definately leapfrogged Sun's old stuff, but Sun supposedly has new stuff out, but I haven't tried any of it yet. Sun has got to get moving or they are going to be in even bigger trouble.

Let us know how it works out....