Re: Administrator and application developer duties

From: Kevin Brand <kevin.brandx_at_tel.gte.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:12:53 -0600

Are there really distinct or strictly defined lines drawn between the two? As a DBA, I would not preclude developers from reading and being interested in DBA material. Nor would I expect a developer to be stingy with his/her documentation or methodologies.

I think it is very good policy to have general knowledge in directly related fields. Some of the better developers I've worked with knew quite a lot about the internal workings of the database engine ( both in my Informix daze and now with Oracle ). I tend to enjoy taking on coding projects so that I have some understanding of what developers have to deal with and how they might approach certain problems.

Whether the documentation reflects this or not really depends on how much overlapping know-how one expects their DBAs and developers to have.

If I had my way, the DBA and concept manuals would be required reading for any Oracle developer.

My 0.02 worth

-Kevin Received on Tue Nov 06 2001 - 16:12:53 CST