Administrator and application developer duties

From: John Russell <netnews_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 21:36:57 GMT

Just to explore a little more the recent discussion of what a DBA does and what an application developer does...

If you notice, there's some overlap between books such as
"Administrator's Guide", "Concepts", and "Application Developer's
Guide - Fundamentals".

I have always had the opinion that a lot of the stuff related to schema objects was really in the domain of the DBA, and to the extent the application developer gets involved, they are really putting on the "DBA hat" where they might have to get involved with partitioning, storage parameters, etc. For example, I try to stick to the role of an application developer, but periodically I'll have to kill an out-of-control query or create a new user, and for that I flip over to the Admin Guide.

So I might favour lessening certain information in the "Fundamentals" book, such as the chapter on schema objects. For example, the developer-specific advice about creating tables etc. might involve the use of EXECUTE IMMEDIATE, since that is how you would issue DDL via code. The developer needs to know how catalog views can be used in the context of writing database-management applications. The rest of the relevant information on schema objects is the same as the DBA needs to know, and is already in the Administrator's Guide.

On the other hand, you can also think of the App Dev - Fundamentals manual as something like the Concepts book, only oriented towards developers. So I could imagine additional information about queries, views, partitioning, triggers, security, stored procedures, and so on that focused only on the aspects that are relevant for application developers rather than DBAs.

I wonder if the group has suggestions for the aspects of such
"overlapping" topics that concern developers more than DBAs? Or
should it be expected that experienced DBAs would also be interested in most of the material from the App Dev - Fundamentals book, so a sharp distinction is not especially useful?

Thanks,
John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: