Re: Oracle Parallel Server Installation on SunOS 5.8 running Sun Cluster 3.0

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:21:04 GMT

Suchit Reikhy wrote:

> Can Oracle 8.1.7 be installed along with Oracle Parallel Server
> support, on a two node cluster running Sun Cluster Server 3.0
> installed on SunOS 5.8 without configuring RAW DEVICES?
>
> I have tried to install Oracle 8.1.7. The installer is
> intelligent enough to recognize the cluster installation and
> correctly prompts with the node names of the machines in the
> cluster. Oracle install and link is successful but the
> instatller hangs thereafter.
>
> I manually execute dbassist to create a database but get the
> following error on selecting either one or both the nodes in the
> cluster:-
> "The following nodes cannot be accessed due to lack of
> permission.."
>
> One reason which I think might be causing this is that I do not
> have any raw devices on this cluster installation. My
> understanding was that raw devices were required to provide a
> shared disk space to the nodes in the cluster. Since, Sun
> Cluster 3.0 has the concept of a Global Shared File System I
> think that use of raw devices should not be mandatory.
> Since the database is not being created, apparently my
> assumption is wrong and I might be REQUIRED to create raw
> devices.
>
> Before I actually went ahead and made provisions for raw devices
> I wanted to find a definitive answer to this if I could.
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

You can certainly use the combo Oracle 8.1.7/OPS/Sun Cluster 2.2 in a two node cluster where you are running Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8).

I'm still waiting to go to Sun Cluster 3.0, so I haven't personally done that yet. There are charts on metalink which list all the combinations.

Regarding the "raw devices" requirement: These are created with either Veritas VxVM (or as Sun Disk Suite volumes, I believe). I used VxVM raw volumes. The key is to create "shared" volumes that both nodes can see when you run the equivalent of df. In the case of VxVM it is:

ops1# vxdg list

NAME         STATE           ID
rootdg       enabled  978053257.1025.ops1
oracledg     enabled,shared 975616172.1300.ops1

ops1# vxdisk -g oracledg list

DEVICE       TYPE      DISK         GROUP        STATUS
c1t1d0s2     sliced    oracled01    oracledg     online shared
c1t8d0s2     sliced    oracled02    oracledg     online shared

To even get the Cluster running you'll need to install the DLM (Dist. Lock Manager). You also have to set permissions exactly the same on both machines. Check the sun docs, they are for the most part very good.

The requirement for raw "shared" volumes is the same for 3.0.

-Dirk Received on Mon Nov 05 2001 - 13:21:04 CST