Re: Import of SQL-Server Database

From: Joachim Verhagen <joachim.verhagen_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:33:31 +0100

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:16:49 +0100, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Bernie Arnold" <BernieA_at_web.de> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the following problem:
>> How can I import an existing database that runs on Microsoft SQL Server
>> 7 to Oracle Server 8.0? Thanks for your answers.
>>
>> Bernie
>>

>Oracle has a free migration workbench on http://technet.oracle.com in the
>downloads section.
>Setting up an ODBC connection would also do the trick.
>Tablenames should be in uppercase and without spaces or hyphens, or you will
>be forced to use " to enclose all table and column names on the Oracle side.
>Oracle 8.0 has been desupported. Oracle 8.1.7 is the only version supported
>before 9i

An alternative is SQLServer DTS (the all-tasks->export in the SQLServer enterprise manager). Works for Oracle 8.0 and 8i.

In general it is saver to create tables, indexes and grants by hand. (Or export the SQLserver schema and adapt it for Oracle datatypes.

Joachim Verhagen.

--
Joachim Verhagen (jcdverha_at_xs4all.nl)
WWW http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/  (Science Jokes)