Re: [OT] Lack of IEEE values in Oracle

From: Murray Peterson <mwp_at_home.com.invalid>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:11:47 GMT

"Kai Yuen Kiang" <kai_kiang_at_cytecht.com> wrote in news:9s5kne$l562_at_imsp212.netvigator.com:

> I've used Oracle in SCADA application in my Siemens days to control
> Airport system. The lack of this IEEE support was not so bad to us
> because we use some C/C++/Pro*C middleware for all these jobs

Which is what we have to do when Oracle is used.

> and I
> would like to say Oracle is not for a real-time application. We had
> used a combination of in-memory structures and a ISAM files-based
> database for these things rather than Oracle.

Our system has several databases -- an in-memory, high speed database for real-time use, with an off the shelf RDBMS for archival and tracking purposes. Oracle's lack of IEEE support makes it very problematic even for the archival use.

> Anyway, the two facts-lists were interesting, I really would like to
> verify everyone of them, and if someone has corrections, I would also
> interest to know. I believe a lot of us do interest, too! It really
> helps our jobs in selecting the right tool for our job.

Good point. It's been too long since I have used Oracle for me to give much useful feedback.

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray_peterson_at_shaw.ca (remove underscore)