Re: [OT] Lack of IEEE values in Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 14:01:10 -0000

"TC" <no_at_email.please> wrote in message
> Sorry, further to this, I meant:
>
> create TABLE "niall.litchfield" (etc.)
>
> not:
>
> create USER "niall.litchfield" (etc.)
>

> TC

It turns out that you can issue the command create user "niall.litchfield" ..... in sql. The gui (at least in 9i) also allows you to use this daft construct. So it looks like my original objection was wrong. Oracle does allow you to create users with daft names if you insist that oracle doesn't need to check the validity of the name (by enclosing it in quotes). It also however also allow normal operations as the following shows

SQL> create user "niall.litchfield" identified by pass   2 default tablespace users
  3 temporary tablespace temp;

User created.

SQL> grant connect, resource to "niall.litchfield";

Grant succeeded.

SQL> connect "niall.litchfield"/pass
Connected.

SQL> create table t1(col1 varchar2(10));

Table created.

SQL> insert into t1 values('a bad idea');

1 row created.

SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> connect system
Enter password: *********
Connected.
SQL> select * from "niall.litchfield".t1;

COL1

a bad idea

SQL> drop user "niall.litchfield" cascade;

User dropped.

In fact looking at the article again it appears that the original author is confused over the use of quoted identifiers. No dooubt he used them in the create statement but then not in subsequent work.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA