Re: Sybrand Bakker

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:29:54 +0100

Neil Garner wrote:

> Thank you for your comments.
> My suspicion that using a newsgroup with highly educated/experienced
> boffins, who look down on us mere mortals/learners/beginners with the
> contempt, we obviously deserve, has once again been thoroughly confirmed.
>
> Hth,

Hello Neil (or Jim?),

You shouldn't complain, I had a look at your posting and Mr. Bakker's answer, and for his way of answering, you have been treated rather kindly, lots of people were treated a lot worse.

This thread will have pleased Mr. Bakker a lot, receiving so much attention, he even had to join in himself, threatening to leave this newsgroup. Can you imagine this newsgroup without Mr. Bakker? I do not understand that my newspaper and the radio and television were paying so much attention to what's happening in Afghanistan and Israel/Palestina, while Mr. Bakker was actually threatening to leave this newsgroup. I was totally unaware!

In joining this thread a second time, Mr. Bakker felt it necessary to generalise: "However I think you will be constantly at war here with every experienced Oracle DBA (in your terms 'more than 5 years', for me more than 12)".

I assure you, this is not the case for me (as "experienced" but wishing I was younger), and I would be astonished if it would be the case for someone like, eg, Thomas Kyte, who puts Mr. Bakker in the shadow (which he doesn't like) on both a professional and human (politeness) level.

I hope that you haven't been put off, and if you have a problem which you can't solve, please put it to this newsgroup. Mr. Bakker, who may be the one answering/solving most of the problems, still does not own this newsgroup. His style may be breathtaking, certainly when you are new here, but even I am regularly amazed by his reactions. It just shows that intelligence and manners are two different things. Mr. Bakker is better than most of us, and wants it to be felt and known.

Keep your questions coming, newsgroups are worth more than the best service contract one can get. They only cost time ;-)

--

Gerard H. Pille

(denk even na voor je antwoordt)