Re: [OT] Lack of IEEE values in Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:48:03 -0000

"Kai Yuen Kiang" <kai_kiang_at_cytecht.com> wrote in message news:9s5kne$l562_at_imsp212.netvigator.com...
> I've used Oracle in SCADA application in my Siemens days to control
Airport
> system. The lack of this IEEE support was not so bad to us because we use
> some C/C++/Pro*C middleware for all these jobs and I would like to say
> Oracle is not for a real-time application. We had used a combination of
> in-memory structures and a ISAM files-based database for these things
rather
> than Oracle.

I must admit my first thought when seeing the need to deal with streaming real-time data was C middleware. Glad to see I wan't totally off on one.

> Anyway, the two facts-lists were interesting, I really would like to
verify
> everyone of them, and if someone has corrections, I would also interest to
> know. I believe a lot of us do interest, too! It really helps our jobs in
> selecting the right tool for our job.

Well now lets see.

Oracle has three languages including SQL*Plus. Sorry wrong answer. SQL*Plus is a program. Of course this might have just been an oversight except he then complains that in PL/SQL set autocommit on is not valid.

" In other words, Oracle stored procedures cannot return a result set. The Sybase user is instantly horrified and rightly so."

The Oracle user of course is somewhat suprised and wonders what it is that is being returned by all his ref cursor procedures.

"Oracle allows you to create a user name with a "." (dot) in it"

SQL> create user niall.litchfield identified by test; create user niall.litchfield identified by test

                 *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01936: cannot specify owner when creating users or roles

"When creating functions using SQL*Plus, you may have errors in your function. The best error message Oracle can give you is "Warning: your function has errors." These meaningful messages are a result of Oracle's basic lack of architecture"

I guess the sql plus command named show errors was just a little too obscure.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA