Re: netasst not working in RH7.1

From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 02:05:46 GMT

On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:00:53 -0400, blumagic <blumagic_at_bellatlantic.net> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have gotten oracle 8.1.6 release2 working on my RH7.1
>laptop. I am having problems with netasst not working. I can
>get dbassist and netca to work. Has anyone else had this
>problem and found or know of a solution/workaround for this
>situation. When I run the command netasst &, I get a process
>number, but no GUI.

You need to install the Blackdown jre 118_v3, then hack the shell scripts for dbassist, netca, netasst, oemapp, etc. such that they run the Blackdown jre instead of the default.

Even with this, it make take a few tries to get it to come up. AFAIK, Oracle has never made the "real" fix for this publically available. Rumor has it that those with support agreements can get a patch kit from their Metalink service.

Chronic problems with 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 installation on newer RH distributions have convinced many to give up on Oracle in this environment. Granted that those paying for support can get help, however I could not even begin to count the potential number of sales they've lost by folks becoming frustrated with trial installs. Received on Sun Nov 04 2001 - 20:05:46 CST