Re: Tutorials

From: Murray Peterson <mwp_at_home.com.invalid>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 16:30:30 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in news:3be4e3a5$0$3442$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au:

> The "real point" is, is this product of use?
>
> The real answer is, yes it is.

Certainly, but of use in what areas? Some of those "quibbles" are serious in nature, enough so to make Oracle unusable for some applications.

> Quibbling about how Oracle stores its numbers, for example (the site's
> point number 1), is a classic example of wondering how many angels can
> fit on the head of a pin. The fact is, it *does* store numbers, and
> the lack of a "float" data type is no obstacle to it being used in
> scientific circles.

Sorry, but the lack of IEEE float support by Oracle is a true obstacle at times. I work in SCADA, and many data acquisition devices store and transmit their data in IEEE float or double format. Oracle's inability to store and retrieve these values without error makes Oracle completely unusable. Would you really want the pipeline running through your neighbourhood controlled by a system that can't even store some of the controlling values without error?

--
Murray Peterson
Email: murray_peterson_at_shaw.ca (remove underscore)