Re: how to rebuild redhat's kernel for oracle8.1.7

From: Hrishikesh <hashinclude_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2001 19:37:48 -0800

"Jackson Zhu" <jazhu_at_swifttrade.com> wrote in message news:<9rv4ua$26s0$1_at_news.passport.ca>...
> Hi, Everybody
> I am trying to install oralce8.1.7 in redhat7.0, according to the
> installation guide. After modifing shaparam.h and sem.h, I need to rebuild
> the kernel. I am new to redhat7.0. Anybody can tell me how to rebuild it?.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jackson

Hi,

You NORMALLY dont need to modify the default kernel (ESPECIALLY in the way oracle recommends). There are some hitches involved though. This site : http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/ has an in-depth walk-through on how to install Oracle 8 on various flavours of Linux (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSe).

As to your query on rebuilding the kernel, you may want to check out the kernel rebuild HOWTOs that are shipped with RedHat under /usr/doc/HOWTO, or on the web at http://www.linuxdoc.org/. Also, http://www.kernel.org/ would be a nice place to check the latest happennings about linux.

Hrishikesh Received on Fri Nov 02 2001 - 21:37:48 CST