Re: Backup/Recovery Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:06:18 +0100

"Buck Turgidson" <jc_va_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f98999c8.0111020523.15b23b19_at_posting.google.com...
> Our DBA's are using various backup/recovery strategies, but one is the
> following:
>
> A complete server (HP Unix) backup is done, including OS, and all
> relevant Oracle files. Basically, it is a complete volume backup of
> the server. On one of the volumes is a nightly export file of the
> database.
>
> The database itself is used 24/7, and is always in a state of flux.
> And it is not taken offline during the server backup.
>
> If we had to restore to another server in a disaster, it sounds to me
> like all the SCN's in the files, versus the control file would be out
> of sync, and there'd be problems.
>
> But would it be enough for them to get back and running if they used
> the Oracle OS files, and overlaid the Oracle export on top of them? I
> would imagine they could get the database to a mount state, but
> probably not open it, prior to starting the import.
>
> Thanks for any replies.
>
> Buck

This is not going to work.
Think of it: the O/S backup you have is inconsistent, as it will not backup all database files simultaneously.
The export again is taken on a different moment, so no consistency with the backup. How would you think importing that file would reconcile these differences.
In short: the O/S backup you have is useless and the only recovery mechanism you have is the full database export. Hence, you will loose transactions, which is IMO inexcusable in a 7x24 documentation.

Oracle and third parties have sufficiently documented backup and recovery and all possible disaster scenarios. Yet there are still people who think they can get away with a full database export in a 7x24 environment. My last site was such a shop.

You're up for disaster and you know it.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker