Backup/Recovery Question

From: Buck Turgidson <jc_va_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Nov 2001 05:23:10 -0800

Our DBA's are using various backup/recovery strategies, but one is the following:

A complete server (HP Unix) backup is done, including OS, and all relevant Oracle files. Basically, it is a complete volume backup of the server. On one of the volumes is a nightly export file of the database.

The database itself is used 24/7, and is always in a state of flux. And it is not taken offline during the server backup.

If we had to restore to another server in a disaster, it sounds to me like all the SCN's in the files, versus the control file would be out of sync, and there'd be problems.

But would it be enough for them to get back and running if they used the Oracle OS files, and overlaid the Oracle export on top of them? I would imagine they could get the database to a mount state, but probably not open it, prior to starting the import.

Thanks for any replies.

Buck Received on Fri Nov 02 2001 - 07:23:10 CST