Re: Locally Managed vs Dictionary managed tablespaces

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:33:31 -0800

Another advantage of dictionary managed tablespaces is that they are more flexible than locally managed tablespaces. That's why I don't think they are going away any time soon.

The dbms_space_admin package offers two procedures, tablespace_migrate_to_local and tablespace_migrate_from_local, to move from one to the other and so switching is a possibility without having to completely recreate the tablespace. The time it takes to do the switch, however, may not be insignificant.

Frank Hubeny