Re: SQL code tuning

From: Stefan Olausson <qhsstol_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2001 21:36:15 -0800

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<tu360vb6l18c30_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "Stefan Olausson" <qhsstol_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > So when all things are equal the *rule based optimizer*, which
> > > is obsolete since 1994...
> >
> > I personally havent worked with CBO in
> > Oracle 7, but judging from this document:
> >
> > "The Search For Intelligent Life In The Cost-based Optimizer"
> > http://www.orapub.com/cgi/genesis.cgi?p1=sub&p2=abs133
> > (free registration required to download the full doc)
> >
> > it really wasnt until Oracle8.0 (or maybe 8i) that the
> > RBO became "obsolete".
> >
> > Very worthwhile article, anyway.
> >
> > Best Regards,
>

> Sorry to have to contradict you on this, but development on RBO stopped with
> 7.1. You can easily track that down in similar articles in Metalink.
>
> Regards

What I referred to was, the article claims in Oracle7 the CBO was so poor or bug-ridden you still did wise to stick to the RBO --not that the RBO was still being further developed. As I said, no personal experience of CBO in Ora7, though. Read the article, its really good :)
Best Regards, Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 23:36:15 CST