Firewall Connection Issue (Timeout)

From: Matt <kadrovach_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 05:02:48 GMT

I am using an Oracle 8.1.6 instance on an AIX server that sits behind a firewall. It has "links" to other Oracle 8.1.6 databases on the other side of the firewall. The database on the secure side of the firewall is used for a WebSphere application server. It seems that the connection between the databases is terminated by the firewall (Cisco PIX), if it is not used for 1 hour. From what my network administrator tells me, this is a normal operation by the firewall. The problem that this seems to create is: The Oracle database on the secure side of the firewall, does not know the connection has been terminated because it did not close it. So when the application server tries to use a table that is "linked", the action times out, because Oracle seems to be trying to use the terminated connection. Is there any way to correct this problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Matt Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 23:02:48 CST