Re: System Tablespace gone mad!

From: godmann <allanwtham_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Nov 2001 17:52:44 -0800

Hi Rich,

   I found something on the metalink. You may be interested but I am not sure how much it will help.

Forum 1
  In a fresh database(newly created), SYS.Source$ has 171 extents(34MB) and I_Source1 has 82 extents (16MB). You can use the script from note 111156.1 to check the size of stored objects.. (Oracle 8.1.7, Sun Solaris 2.6)

Forum 2
  Question:

   The table SYS.SOURCE$ holds the source code for packages etc.  There is a index on this table called I_SOURCE1. Over time this index  must get fragmented like other Oracle indexes and therefore needs to  be rebuilt?

  Answer:

  It is true that these indexes may become fragmented. However they still belong to the Data Dictionary and Oracle will not support any statement ran on these that drops or rebuilds them. If fragmentation is a concern then you would handle just like any fragmentation in other tables and indexes. Export compress=y, drop, recreate, and import. Just be aware that export does not export sys objects such as Data Dictionary. But when you recreate your database and begin the import, it will repopulate the Data Dictionary and therefore not be fragmented.

  my two lepta

Allan W. Tham
DBA Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 19:52:44 CST