Re: Listener not listening ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:53:49 +0100

"Dooban" <doobas_at_terra.com> wrote in message news:b12e10b3.0111011218.467003dd_at_posting.google.com...
> I have installed Oracle EE 8i 1.7 and Designer 6i rel 3, in that
> order.
>
> I have created a TNS_ADMIN key in HKLM-Software-Oracle pointing to
> C:\ORACLE\ORA81\NETWORK\ADMIN.
>
> I have deleted the TNSNAMES.ORA, AND SQLNET.ORA so that there would be
> no conflicts from C:\ORACLE\DEV6i\NET80\ADMIN.
>
> After that I am able to connect with SQLPLUSW with scott/tiger_at_ORCL.
> Just in case it didn´t work I have connected from the SQLPLUSW.exe
> located in:
> C:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN
> C:\ORACLE\DEV6i\BIN
> C:\ORACLE\des_817\BIN
> In every case I was able to succesfully connect using
> scott/tiger_at_ORCL.
>
> I have also installed Developer 6i rel3 and been able to log using the
> ORCL instance.
>
> The problem arises when trying to launch DESIGNER. When I log using
> the same connection string the following error appears:
>
> ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
> RME-00220: Failed to connect to Repository
> I have not yet created the repository, so the second error is ok but
> not the first one.
>
> When issuing a TNSPING ORCL I get a TNS-12541:no listener error. The
> listener IS started !
>
> This is the output of the LSNRCTL status:
>
> C:\>lsnrctl status
>
> LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on
> 01-NOV-2001 21:16:44
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Conectßndose a

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
> ESTADO del LISTENER
> ------------------------
> Alias LISTENER
> Versi¾n TNSLSNR for 32-bit Windows: Version
> 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> Fecha de Inicio 01-NOV-2001 20:56:45
> Tiempo de actividad 0 dÝas 0 hr. 20 min. 1 seg.
> Nivel de Rastreo off
> Seguridad OFF
> SNMP OFF
> Fichero de Parßmetros del Listener
> C:\oracle\ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
> Fichero Log del Listener C:\oracle\ora81\network\log\listener.log
> Resumen de servicios...
> orcl tiene 1 gestor(es) de servicio
> El comando se ha ejecutado correctamente
>
> Sorry for the language.
>
> Pleeease help.
>
> Thanks.

Of course you are using the TNSPING from whatever version occurs first in your PATH variable.
So actually the error from TNSPING may result from using a different version of designer.
The TNSPING error occurs when ORCL can not be found *correctly* in listener.ora
8i has the new service_name= syntax instead of sid= syntax of 7.3 and 8.0 Designer is an 8.0 product.
You can not have sid= in tnsnames.ora and service_name = in listener.ora

The only way to find out anything currently is to enable sqlnet tracing. Find out which sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora are used by tnsping. Find out which sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora are used by designer. There simply *MUST* be more than one, contrary to what you say, but you report inconsistent behavior.
In sqlnet.ora add

trace_level_client = 16
trace_directory_client = <any sensible directory>
trace_unique_client = true

do the same for tnsping
trace_level_tnsping = 16 etc...

Your installation is weird, you seem to have developer and designer in 2 *different* homes, otherwise you wouldn't have had 3 copies of sqlplusw.exe Developer and designer need to be in the *same* home.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA