Re: Multiple processes inserting into one table

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:29:49 -0000

Good points from the other two replies.
You should always look at v$system/session_event to find out where you are losing time - don't forget to set timed_statistics =true.

Probable points are:

    buffer busy waits
    redo log sync/write
    latch free
    enqueue

Are there any indexes on the table -
freelists help only with tables, index entries have to go into the right place, so if 32 process have rows that have to go into a small set of blocks, you get a bottleneck.

Another possibility is contention for the segment header block on those 48 freelist - you could recreate the table with multiple freelist groups - say 6 groups with 8 freelists each.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.

<1b42a8fe.0111010621.51293346_at_posting.google.com>...