Re: Multiple processes inserting into one table

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:16:38 GMT

John O'Rourke wrote:

> Hi,
> We have multiple processes all inserting into one table using array
> inserts. we are running on a 24 CPU server, we are noticing that the
> performance levels off when we have 32 processes inserting into the
> table. However the CPU's aren't maxxed out. We have set the number of
> freelists to 48. We have played with the array insert size and the
> commit point but to no avail. We believe our databse is fairly well
> tuned. My question really is to improve performance would Oracle
> partitioning help us ? or would we be better splitting the one table
> into multiple tables e.g. table_001, table_002 etc, and have set
> processes inserting into set tables ?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated,
> Thanks
> John.

No offense, but I'm going to ask the obvious. Is the box I/O bound yet? Obviously, the disk array has some maximum achievable throughput that you're going to be limited by. Are you monitoring the i/o wait and the throughput? If the disk array isn't running at maximum throughput then I would probably check the redo status. If you're confident it's tuned for this massive amount of inserting then I assume the redo is running great (appropriate size logs, no 'buffer allocation retries', very well balanced checkpointing, etc...).

Good Luck,
Richard Received on Thu Nov 01 2001 - 10:16:38 CST