Log switch frequency and Oracle standby

From: Prem Alleppey <prem_alleppey_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2001 14:11:01 -0800

We are looking into using Oracle Standby for disaster recovery for an OLTP database and would like to keep the potential data loss to be about 5 minutes worth.

A couple of questions in this regard, especially from those who use Standby for DR:
* If we force log switching to happen every 5 minutes, what would be
the performance impact of that? Would it be significant or negligible? What would could we do to minimize the impact?
* How much time does the ARCH process take to archive the files once
the switch happens? What can we do to make sure that ARCH is not lagging behind?

Thanks in advance.. Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 16:11:01 CST