Re: Parallism with INSERTs and Deletes

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2001 09:52:55 -0800

In article <f329f8a7.0110310720.785c84bb_at_posting.google.com>, dlejeune_at_yahoo.com says...

>Hi -
>
>From everything I have read, ORACLE only supports parallism w/ INSERT
>into SELECT type statements. Normal INSERTs and UPDATES don't seem to
>be supported by the Parallel Query Option that comes w/ 8i Enterprise.

Well, an INSERT into t values (x, y, z)

will not be parallelized (there is but one row, parallel makes no sense for that.)

An insert into t select from another table

can insert more than one row and both the SELECTION and INSERTION of data can be paralellized.

Updates and deletes may be parallelized as well -- given that the data is partitioned (only a req. for update/delete).

>Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean that only a single
>processor is used or does Oracle spread the INSERTs and UPDATES across
>multiple processors if you have a multi-processor server (i.e. like a
>SUN 4500).

See
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c21dlins.htm#2507 and
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c22paral.htm#880