Re: Sybrand Bakker

From: godmann <allanwtham_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2001 00:32:31 -0800

>>I agree but I pity the newbies either for being castigated for
acting the
>>way they would. Remember that they are newbies -- they are bound to
commit
>>mistakes; they don't know where to look for previous discussions;
they don't
>>know how to phrase their questions; they do not know the structure
of the
>>documention or manual and they surely would ask stupid questions.
But I
>>tend to be forgiving. Great DBA's do not bark nor frown at them at
every
>>mistake they make.

  I agree with the statements above. I think as Senior/Very-Senior Oracle
Dba, one needs to *care* for the feeling of the new ones. Of course, there
are always two sides to the truth in everything. If a new one keeps coming
back with questions which obviously he does no homework on, he should deserve
a little pointers with a little harsh words. On the other hand, people like
Sybrand Bakker, Tom Kytes, Howard J Rogers, Nuno, Jim K., Koert54, David F.
are all noble to me cuz they answer valuable questions. I don't know how much
to say but I really think that missing any great names like those listed above will be very sad for this ng (no offense if you are not listed). All I want
to say is STAY Mr. Sybrand and at the same time be patient with the newbies.
If they are really irritating, you may pass their questions by or if they
are really INTELLECTUALLY LAZY (you need to discern), then one or two torpedos is fine.

  And to the newbies, do your homework!

  Allan W. Tham
  DBA (very NON-SENIOR) Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 02:32:31 CST