Re: Memory Leak

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 14:07:47 +1100

Well, two key phrases in your post sprang to my attention: "Even before I ran the Universal Installer...." and "I uninstalled all the Oracle files...and am still experienceing the memory leak".

The other key phrase was "...for Win98".

You're using a dodgy operating system that experienced memory problems before Oracle got anywhere near your machine. Incidentally, the idea of using third-party memory utilities on Win98 is a disaster waiting to happen.

It's got zilch to do with Oracle, and everything to do with Windows 98 (or your particular configuration of it, anyway). Do yourself a favour, and upgrade to Windows XP Home -memory leaks will be a thing of the past, and Oracle will work quite nicely on it. (If you insist, go for Windows 2000 Professional -which is basically XP, but without all the glitz). Not a cheap option, I agree. And I won't even say that Oracle never has memory leaks, because it does, occasionally -but not before you run the installer it doesn't!

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000