Re: Order by Problem on 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:26:40 +1100

There are perfectly justifiable grounds for loading data with an order by clause. It's possible that queries have to read fewer blocks to retrieve the requisite data as a result of re-packing the data into a query-appropriate order.

You might, for example, care to re-read pages 67 and 68 of Jonathan Lewis' "Practical Oracle 8i", which illustrates the point.

Not perhaps that that is relevant to the original poster, but saying it just causes extra work for no benefit is oversimplifying things a bit.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000