Re: init.ora

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 22:15:09 +0100

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:55:17 GMT, dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net> wrote:

>Hello...
>
>What is the difference between
>d:\oracle\orahome\sysman\ifiles\def_mydatabase.mydomain.ora
>and
>d:\oracle\admin\mydatabase\pfile\init.ora
>
>What, exactly, is each one used for?
>
>Which one should Instance Manager be pointed to when
>opening the database?
>
>Thx,
>D.

The first is exclusively used by OEM and ought to be a copy of the second. It will be generated if you choose save parameters in OEM. The Instance Manager in OEM will use this file if present, IIRC. The service startup and oradim will always use the second. Unless you exclusively use OEM for *all* your maintenance work, you should keep the second, *default*, init.ora updated, and use that one.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Oct 30 2001 - 15:15:09 CST