Re: C++ (linux) -> Oracle

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:52:16 +0100

Niedzwiedz wrote:

> Hello
> I have a problem. I want to connect my C++ program to the Oracle Database
> and do some searches. How should I do it. What techniques should I use ?
> I'm using linux. I would be grateful for any tips you send (any URL's).
> Thanks.
> Niedzwiedz

There is a number of good Open Source wrapper libraries, which provide a "neat", i.e. object-oriented API around OCI. Search at google or the usual OSS sites for "C++ Linux library Oracle".

OCI is a purely procedural C library. It provides for great functionality and for really _long_ programs. It is perfectly suited for wrapping into C++ or Java APIs.

Pro*C is the best choice for programs with fixed SQL. But I don't like it, since its preprocessor interacts with the C/C++ preprocessor.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de