Re: Re-name a Oracle instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 06:23:08 +1100

Renaming an Instance -no problem. Just shutdown, change your ORACLE_SID environment parameter, and startup. Done (assuming you're not on NT, which requires the use of oradim to create a new Service).

But I suspect you mean renaming a database. Which is lots more bother. Lots of posts on the subject before, and various sources of information dotted around the web. But they key is to create a control file trace script, and edit that.

You can find the details in my paper on 'cloning a database', under "tips", "basic administration" at the link below. Step 3 is where it is all at.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000