Re: OCP Oracle 8i or 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 05:56:27 +1100

I won't disagree, but I can't wholeheartedly agree, either. Rollback segments are pretty fundamental to the database, and they've changed completely between 8i and 9i. RMAN was a swine in 8i, works like a charm in 9i. Auto-management of files means every 'create tablespace' statement is likely to look completely different. Even the 'create database' statement has got two new entries in it (auto undo and default temp). The pfile has turned into an spfile, server manager has gone, export now does genuine tablespace-level exports, and flashback makes an appearance.

There are a *lot* of fairly fundamental changes, and I'm not salivating at the prospect of having to teach it to people who actually use 8i.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's still Oracle, and yes, a good grounding in 8i wouldn't send you wildly astray in 9i. But I wouldn't recommending mixing versions when it comes to OCP, nor if you are just starting out.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000