Re: DBA to Solve your database headaches

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:04:40 GMT

In a valiant and sublime effort,Niall Litchfield frowned, dipped a thumb in soot and doodled:

>Try www.cw360.com for UK conditions and news. I put senior dba inner london
>into the salary checker there and got 55K for a permie job double that for
>an annual equivalent rate for contractors. Bear in mind that I'm suggesting
>that 700 quid a day is below the rate for a 'short term' contract only.
>Hiring a real expert to troubleshoot costs. Sadly it doesn't actually
>convert into salaries for us permies in the rest of the country. My wife,
>who is a Patent Attorney, earns for example over twice my salary. I guess
>the same probably applies as between say sydney and perth.

Hah! You'd be lucky to get anywhere near that over here. Average salary for a DBA permie here is $70K (pacific peso currency), which translates to around 25K in Pounds or roughly 35K US$. The good ones get around $100-110K, which again is well below those figures. Contracting is dead, due to huge recession. It used to pay up to $100-120 /hour for experienced people, which again is well below those figures.

No surprises why we can't find a single good DBA around: they all moved overseas. It's gonna be a rude awakening here when business realises there simply ain't enough experienced people around. They'll have to seriously jack up prices to even convince local ones to move, let alone entice any new people to come over...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Oct 30 2001 - 11:04:40 CST