Re: Corporate Acceptance of Creating Views ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:41:49 -0000

"jane" <janeyiu_at_optonline.net> wrote in message news:eQoD7.43362$C7.13166440_at_news02.optonline.net...
> Is it true that in general corporate enviornment, the use of Views is
> discouraged ? even frowned up ?
>
> I was working with this "seasoned" developer on developing reports, I am
new
> to the Oracle enviornment
> and she insisted that I should NOT use views if at all possible,
preferablly
> not at all.
>
> "You should be able to get all the data you need with straight SQL...even
if
> it have to go for pages !"
> "...you are creating yet another dependency...it's another object that has
> to be maintained !......"

I'd go back and ask for the reasoning. It is true that you are unlikely to want thousands of views in order to make reports work. On the other hand a view is compiled SQL and thus potentially is a great piece of reusable code with all the associated advantages. So see if you can get an idea of why she has the rule that she does. If she can't explain it then yes she may wel be full of BS.
BTW Its great to see one woman posting and referring to another in the oracle world. there aren't nearly enough of you.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA