Re: adding one processor

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:49:39 +0100

"S ICM" <S.ICM_at_icn.siemens.de> wrote in message news:3BDE8573.1CE7A9FA_at_icn.siemens.de...
> Hi Nuno,
> could it be a little more complicated.
> As I know Tru64 is a Unix Cluster Software from Compaq.
>
> So we are talking about Real Application Cluster (RAC) working
> with Tru64 Unix Clustering software.
>
> If you can teach me the stuff.
>
> Do it.
> :-)
> Volker.
>
> Nuno Souto wrote:
>
> > In a valiant and sublime effort,hannebil
> > frowned, dipped a thumb in soot and doodled:
> >
> > >It's there anything to do with the oracle parameters ?
> >
> > None whatsoever. Just make sure the CPU is being picked up by unix
> > itself.
> >
> > >In witch oracle book can i find this info ?
> > >

> > None. There is no special setting in ORACLE for multiple CPUs.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Nuno Souto
> > nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

The OP mentioned using 8.0.6. So RAC is not involved at all. He also didn't mention whether he is using Standard Edition, or Enterprise Edition (comes with Parallel Query). In the former case, the O/S will do the load balancing. In the latter case, from experience, having 2 processors available to use Parallel Query will not make a big difference, the administrative overhead coordinating parallel query slaves on only 2 processors, may be bigger, than any gains you expect.

Adding processors to a single machine has nothing to do with Oracle Parallel Server, the predecessor of RAC

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA