Re: Changing password expiration date

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:22:36 +1100

I'm assuming that you are using profiles to automatically expire passwords (I can't think how else you'd do it, anyway!).

All you need to do is to change the password_life_time for a profile, and all users who have that profile will immediately pick up the new expiry date.

So, for example:

create profile blah limit
password_life_time 1;

alter user scott profile blah;

SQL> select username, expiry_date from dba_users;

USERNAME                       EXPIRY_DA
------------------------------ ---------
SYS
SYSTEM
DBSNMP                         20/OCT/01
OUTLN                          20/OCT/01
SCOTT                          31/OCT/01

Note that scott has an expiry date of tomorrow, as would be expected because of the 1 day expiry time in the profile.

SQL> alter profile blah limit
  2 password_life_time 30;

Profile altered.

OK, so now I've just upped the expiry limit to 30 days.

SQL> select username, expiry_date from dba_users;

USERNAME                       EXPIRY_DA
------------------------------ ---------
SYS
SYSTEM
DBSNMP                         20/OCT/01
OUTLN                          20/OCT/01
SCOTT                          29/NOV/01

Scott now expires in a month's time, not 1 day.

For heaven's sake, do not even think of poking around with data dictionary tables directly. You'll stuff up your entire database, probably.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000