Re: Sybrand Bakker

From: Jason <foucault4_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:36:49 GMT

at the risk of turning this into another out of control thread, i completely disagree with greg and (here's a big surprise) michael. i say kudos to norman for his well written, thoughtful commentary. all i have to add is if you look at the original poster's question it is clear that he did absolutely zero work on his own before posting the question. i mean, how long do you have to spend on oracle's website before you find references to the command line imp/exp programs? he didn't even know they EXIST let alone how to use them.

furthermore, Sybrand answered the question! he didn't just flame the guy and tell him to screw off. he answered the question and then he added a very justifiable remark about how frustrating it is when so-called technical people are often helpless without a big obnoxious GUI blinking the answer at them in GIANT red letters.

while the poster did admit he's a newbie, he also implied that he is responsible for 2 production oracle databases (unless he was posting on someone else's behalf?!)... all i can say to that is heaven help the comany!

as for your comment that 'it would be kind of sad if he didn't come back because of it'... you've got it backwards. this group may exist to help people, but as the saying goes... the lord (and many mere mortals in this ng too) helps those that help themselves. i can understand someone saying "i can't find this in the manual..." or "where do i even find the manual?" but when what they want to know is a topic discussed at length in all the online docs they clearly haven't done their homework before asking for the extra help that cannot be found in any book but which exists in the minds of those with many years of hands on experience and is so generously offered here when the poster demonstrates at least a modicum of effort.

what would be be truly sad, is if sybrand (or others of his ilk) were to stop participating in these groups because of posters like this one. greg goes so far as to suggest it as a viable alternative... while i think it's the worst possible outcome. i'm continually amazed at the lengths to which the respondents will go to help those of us with less knowledge/experience. we should all be encouraging and considerate of their generosity.... and if you aren't willing to eat a little crow when it's due, you're the one who needs to find another hobby.

p.s. any reference to deities is purely for dramatic/comic effect and in no way relates to the religious (dis)beliefs of the author.