Re: Can 8i and 9i db server co-exist on NT?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2001 14:42:22 -0800

I currently have both an 8i and a 9i server running on my Win2K box. However, more than just a new ORACLE_HOME is required. Th 9i install also requires a new ORACLE_BASE; you CANNOT install 9i into the ORACLE_BASE of the 8i database. I have the following structure:

Oracle 8i

c:\oracle\ora816            ORACLE_HOME
c:\oracle                   ORACLE_BASE

Oracle 9i
c:\ora9i\ora9011            ORACLE_HOME
c:\ora9i                    ORACLE_BASE

Without a new ORACLE_BASE you'll never get a 9i database created. Trust me, I fought with this for over a week before I finally implemented a proper install of 9i.

David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA