Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:42:23 +0100

Hi Dino,

this thread is so long. I can hardly remember, which idea I told to whom.

Summarizing: I understood the term "DBA" as a "Database Administrator". In my previous knowledge, prior to fighting in this thread, this is a very technical task. Your description under 2.2 show the direction of my thoughts. A DBA is responsible for the database having good performance and being secure. He is not responsible for the creation of the logical data model. And he also is not reponsible for finding the constraints. The DBA also does not necessarily have to know the application's business modell.

As I do not want to start another fight, two remarks:

[1] In the meantime I have been told, that older DBAs (but not all younger
DBAs) are also perfectly trained at working in the early software development stages. And they also do know much about software development. I learned that already. No need to tell me again.

[2] Even if the DBAs were "only" responsible for the technical
well-behaviour of the database, this would not mean "I am looking down on them from my software developer view". Believe it or not: I always appreciate it very much, if a system, which I have to work on, is running smoothly. I do know the difficulties to make things work without problems. This is true for operating system administration as well as for database administration.

Regarding your >>I am quite interested in the "somebody" who is responsible for data modeling.<<

Usually the logical data model is initially done by me, in cooperation with the future users. The degree of cooperation depends on the user itsself. Some are very eager to work on this subject, and some (after some training) can also read e.g. a crow-foot-diagram. They probably would fail, if they had to create one on their own, but reading a diagram is much easier. Other users have a very hard time, thinking in terms of entities and relationships. They just tell the requirements and leave the modelling to me.

After the the logical is written down and included in the requirement specification, it is discussed with some professional Data Modeller. This depends on the size of the customers. Big companies have such departments. Usually these are IT people knowing Data Modelling inside out. They don't have to think when explaining "5th Normal Form". Please do not tell this to others: if I go beyond 3NF, I have to get a piece of paper and a pencil, and think for a minute or two. Anyway, their input is appreciated very much.

The physical data model is usually discussed in-house, between me and my co-workers. Maybe a customer has some standards regarding this part of the development, but many have not.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Mon Oct 29 2001 - 13:42:23 CST