Re: Need help understanding LEFT JOIN.

From: Stephan Langer <slanger_at_dixi-wc.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:04:54 +0100

Hallo John,

the left join (+) - operator means this side has to be compared (not necessarily equal) to the other side, if the joined table exists. If the joined table does not exist, this part of the sql will not be evaluated.

Hence, if you outer join (left join) a table (or more than one table) all columns of that table(s) have to be used with the (+) - operator. Any usage without (+) will result in an inner join for that column.

Stephan Langer