Re: OCP Oracle 8i or 9i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:53:39 +1100

Well, if you can hold off starting for a couple of months, you should find the 9i track out of beta by then. But if you start the 8i track, it won't be obsolete: one extra exam on 9i New Features will see you safely upgraded in your certification.

But that's an extra exam, and extra study, so it might not be an option to your taste.

I'd also say that if you intend to take the entire OCP stream over several months, and specifically if you also intend to take an instructor-led courses from Oracle itself, whilst you'll well be able to start the 8i track, you might have trouble finishing it. 8i courses will be phased out over the next 6 to 9 months, and replaced with 9i equivalents -which are not always that equivalent. So by the time you're ready to take the last 8i exams, the courses preparing you for them might not be available.

My advice would be to wait for the 9i track to stabilise, and then do that exclusively. Not that its a particularly popular opinion, but bear in mind too that its the getting to know the database that is the important thing, not merely being able to clutch a piece of certificate paper to your chest. And the point, of course, is that you can be learning all about 9i right now, whatever state the exams are in.

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000