Re: Newbie: Select in PL/SQL

From: GREGORY KNESER <gregoryk_at_futures.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: 28 Oct 2001 19:28:53 GMT

Sybrand Bakker (postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl) wrote:
: Sigh, no version again.

Sorry. 8.1.7

: First of all: please make sure you *don't* give all your users the DBA role.
: This means *everyone* can *completely screw up* your database.
: You should investigate security a little bit more, and try to determine what
: privileges your users *really* need to have.

There are 2 users of this system. I'm adding in a web user at a later date and that user will only have select privileges. If the evil user completely screws something up, I'll kick myself.

: The issue you are having is because roles are disabled during compilation of
: stored procedures and functions, as roles are volatile.

Ok, that makes sense.

: In 8i you can define a procedure with definers rights (the default) and
: invoker rights, which means it runs in the context of the user running the
: program.

Ok. So if my user1 has select privileges on any table, why can't its procedure see the tables in user2's schema? If I copy and paste the sql into sql*plus it works fine, just not in the stored procs.

: This question has been asked many times, please try to peruse the various
: archives and FAQs before posting it another time.

I did try to search for it for quite a while. As you might imagine it's hard to figure out the exact words that others used in describing this problem in order to be able to find a resolution.

: Sybrand Bakker
: Senior Oracle DBA

You are the lord slime of comp.databases.oracle.* Take that as you may. And thanks for your insights.

Greg Received on Sun Oct 28 2001 - 13:28:53 CST