Re: Oracle install

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:15:16 +1100

Is 9i supported on Mandrake 8? I honestly haven't checked for a while.

Last time I did, Suse 7.1 and Red Hat 7.something were the only verified Linux platforms, so you can expect all sorts of problems if you've chosen to go with anything else. Not saying you won't get it to work in the end, but you'll be facing a bit of a grudge match to make it happen.

On Suse, when I was asked for the JRE, I always pointed it at usr/lib/java, but I've seen references to usr/software/java, too. And who can say on Mandrake?

If you really must use Linux, and you are, as you say, new to both Linux and Oracle, try to stick with what technet.oracle.com actually states are supported platforms on their download page. But I'd also suggest tackling one thing at a time... and installing on Windows, leaving Linux for later. At the very least, read the 9i Release Notes for Linux, which explains about the Java stuff (on page 3).

Regards
HJR

--

Oracle Resources : http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000