Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:31:27 GMT

In a valiant and sublime effort,Thomas Kyte frowned, dipped a thumb in soot and doodled:

>you're missing alot if you don't. I don't care what platform you use (but you
>might consider that 5 years ago, NT stood for "not there", Unix was dominant. 5
>years before that, unix was an up and comer -- VAX was peaking in its popularity
>in the midsized computers. 5 years before that Mainframes were the serious
>computing environment. 5 years from now -- whats the OS platform going to be?
>I don't know but I'm pretty sure it'll be as different then as it is now from 5
>years ago...)

Yup, very good point. The underlying thing here is: ORACLE has been around most of those periods. It's concurrency model has been the same since the start. And anyone taking advantage of its features doesn't have to worry what the OS is gonna be 5 years from now. Same with the ones that did the same 10 years ago.

Of course, there has been evolution. But the fundamentals are still there and still apply. An application designed to take full advantage of ORACLE's specifics will still be actual 5 years from now.

It's a good bet to develop this way.

A lot of people do something completely different: they buy into the M$ "we're cheaper" stuff. They develop their packages, applications, whatever, using Sql Server's specifics and with no knowledge whatsoever of good RDBMS design theory. Then they expect to sell that same application in the ORACLE environment (which is a much bigger and more lucrative market) without changing a line of code. And they complain bitterly when things go "clunk".

IOW, the M$ "cheap" turns out to be false savings. To be expected, but then hasn't this industry learned that yet?

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Oct 28 2001 - 04:31:27 CST