Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:18:35 GMT

In a valiant and sublime effort,Michael G. Schneider frowned, dipped a thumb in soot and doodled:

>I am not natively English speaking. But mis-spelling your name can not be
>excused by this. I am sorry for the error.

no worries, it happens even to "natively English speaking". You see, it's not an English surname... ;-)

>I did already learn a lot in this thread, but if somebody tells me what
>"Farkin oath" means, I would be very thankfull.

Indeed you did. I'm not going to comment on some of the more aggressive comments you got, not my place to do so.

Personally, I think they were slightly misplaced: it's very obvious you don't know the background and history of ORACLE and the people involved with it since it started being widely used. That's ok by me, nobody is born all-learning.

Rest assured of one thing: when talking to an ORACLE DBA that's been one for more than 5 years, you're talking to someone that knows a lot about being a production DBA, AND also knows a LOT about development issues as well as design issues. It's not the case with many other DBAs of other RDBMS products, but it's the case with these ones. Of necessity.

"Farkin Oath" is an Australian slang term, written in Australian slang "notation", meaning more or less "f***ing unbelievable". :-)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sun Oct 28 2001 - 04:18:35 CST