Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:02:58 +0200

"Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ulmhxfray.fsf_at_verizon.net...
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, mgs_at_mgs-software.de wrote:
>
> > in my opinion an application can be perfectly designed on the
> > basis of SQL (either MS or Oracle) and the application code.
>
> So, you or your customer spends a boatload of money to buy a
> worldclass piece of software called Oracle and you don't want to
> take advantage of its power? You, instead, want to take
> advantage of some programming language that you have chosen.

Yes, in SQL and in application code I try to avoid using DB-specific constructs. The DB-specific fine-tunig may come into place, if the database is deployed on a server. Not changing SQL, of course. But using memory / caching / ... techniques, which you probably know much better than I, in the database.

Not too often, but once in a while an application also has to run on two different database systems (probably Oracle/SQLServer) - or is ported from one to the other. Then having vendor specific details in the application will make this difficult.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Sat Oct 27 2001 - 01:02:58 CDT