Re: high cpu utilization on redhat linux

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe_at_richard-schneider.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:00:49 +0200

Yao Zhu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently discovered that my oracle 8.1.7 server in redhat linux utilize
> all cpu power it can find all the time. I use this linux server for some
> light development and experiment purpose. And I leave the machine on all the
> time.
>
> My configuration is:
> Intel p3 533MHz, 778MB SDRAM, big HDD, etc.
> redhat 7.1, oracle 8.1.7
>
> Almost everytime I check system usage, Oralce utilizes all the cpu power it
> can find. The problem is that I didn't issue any command for oracle server
> to do any work. It just consumes cpu power for no purpose. (At least no
> purpose that I know of.)
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?

Is it a single process which loads the CPU? If yes: is it a server shadow process? (top -c)

You can install STATSPACK and set timed_statistics to true. This gives you a good insight about "expensive" statements.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7244 / 609504
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    uwe_at_richard-schneider.de