Re: Order by Problem on 8i

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:59:31 GMT

It might and sometimes it might not. Also you cannot be sure what order it will put the data into a table. Just because you insert data in a particular order does not mean Oracle will store it in the table in that physical order. In short with Oracle and the ANSI standard Bliss is correct, the order of a tuple is unspecified if you don't specify an order. If you rely on unspecified behavior you will probably be bit by it later. It is so simple to just specify the order I don't understand why people would make an issue of not wanting to specify it. Jim

> > Hi,
> >
> > Though your script works in 9i, it seems a little illogical to me....
How