Re: 8.1.6 goes mad until HD full

From: Hannes Erven <h.e_at_gmx.at>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:38:20 +0200

> > Sometimes it starts writing more and more archived redo, up until 50-100
> > archived logs per minute (!!). This fills up the partition rather quick
(<12
> > hours) and results in Oracle panicking and exiting.
>
> Sybrand is right that your redo logfiles are too small, and that you
> shouldn't just delete them when the archived redo log device becomes full.
> After all, you switched on redo log archiving for a purpose - to *archive*
> your redo logs.

When operating normal, it writes about one archived log every quarter hour. This seems reasonable, or do you think this is still too much? As already said, it is the primary database in a hot standby configuration so all the logs are archived at the standby system (and go on tape from there).

It is definitely no data import issue, as the server backs a web site which is doing selects, updates and somtimes inserts - but it doesn't import loads of data (at least not at 50MB/min).

I wonder if there is any way to actually "see" what oracle is doing right now...

Anyways, I will read your document and try logminer... looking forward to some answers,

with best regards,

    -hannes Received on Fri Oct 26 2001 - 12:38:20 CDT