Re: Help me please.

From: Dave Wotton <Dave.Wotton_at_dwotton.nospam.clara.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:18:52 +0100

"ftp" <shyan_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk> wrote in message news:9r703v$aua$1_at_eng-ser1.erg.cuhk.edu.hk...
> Sorry for any inconvenient. However, in my situation, time is a very
> importanat factor. I cannot waste a lot of time to see the documentation.
> [snip]
> I'm not a DBA or DBO to Oracle. I'm just a student. I must setup my Oracle
> as quicly as possible in order to start my real work

Whereas the rest of us here, who are employees or consultants and are paid for our time obviously have so much time on our hands that we can spend time reading the documentation on behalf of you students and answering your questions?

When I was a student, we were expected to find things out for ourselves. How things have changed!

On this one I agree with Sybrand: a little more care and attention on your behalf would have solved your problem and you'd have learned from it as well. We're all willing to help people who are struggling to understand the documentation, but you're pushing the bounds of generosity asking for help as a *first* resort as soon as you get any error message. Read the manuals first, then ask for help if you don't understand.

Dave.

--
If you reply to this newsgroup posting by email, remove the "nospam"
from my email address first.