Re: 8.1.6 goes mad until HD full

From: Hannes Erven <h.e_at_gmx.at>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 14:52:59 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:tti0st8hd8s00d_at_corp.supernews.com...

> If you 'clean up' the archived redo log (which I assume means delete those
> fills) you ruin whatever backup and recovery possibilities you have. Did
you
> ever read the chapters on backup and recovery in the Oracle Server
> Administrators manual?
> Your online redolog files are way too small. Make them 5M at least.
> Then you need to *backup* those archived redolog files, or you could
better
> run that database in noarchivelog, go home, and wait until disaster
strikes
> (other than a crashing database)

Perhaps I forgot to mention that there is of course a second server running a standby database which has a copy of all the logs (which I check before deleting any file). This way, it seems quite safe to delete the logs.

I think I don't have any alternatives to deleting the log files (or move them to a different partition, which is more or less the same: make space on the partition the archived redo log files are written to), do I?

My primary is concern is this: what makes oracle write archived redo 100 times more often as usual, and how do I find out? I can definitely say that it's not simply more connections, more updates, large imports or something like that.

:-/

Best regards,

    -hannes Received on Fri Oct 26 2001 - 07:52:59 CDT