Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 11:06:09 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:tti1ohc07vft35_at_corp.supernews.com...

> You are consistently trying to offend DBAs by stating 'I don't need your
> expertise'

I just explained, that the word DBA does not fit to the examples that have been given (primary keys, constraints, cursors, etc.). This understanding comes late in this thread, but finally it is here.

> In my formal function description 'designing the data model' is included.

Applying data modelling techniques is definitely no "Database Administration" task. It has nothing to do with administration.

Ok, I am not natively English speaking. Is there any English person reading this thread, who can either affirm or reject my impression that "administration" has nothing to do with "data modelling"?

> I am quite aware most developers, and you seem to be a perfect and very
> example of it, look down on DBAs.

NOT AT ALL (sorry for shouting). And I do not know, how you come to this opinion.

> Please don't expect I am going to respond to your newbie questions which
> will inevitably turn up soon.

I can certainly live with that.

But maybe, you should think about the fact, that anything I said about DBAs was based on the understanding of these three letters "DBA". Obviously the immediate understanding of "DBA" leads to a narrow description of your actual work (which I tried to summarize in my previous post). I do discuss a data modell with somebody, who is responsible for Data Modelling. This is task not done by somebody, who is "administering the database".

Michael G. Schneider Received on Fri Oct 26 2001 - 04:06:09 CDT